Friday, March 9, 2018

So Nice to be Included


Our extended family is less extended and more immediate the past few days. Chrissy and Christian have been without power since Wednesday. (They also were without power during the storm a week ago.)
Anyway, Marshall and Adella slept on the sofa bed in the loveseat in my office last night. This morning Marshall discovered a cache of paper clips, which he dropped over the second floor balcony into the front hall in clumps. The front entry way was carpeted in paper clips.
Granma pulled a Tom Sawyer. I have a magnetized disk that doubles as a paper clip holder. When I showed Adella how it worked, she ran downstairs to start picking them up without my even asking. She took great delight in watching the paper clips dance and jump to the disk.
"Do you know why the paper clips are attracted to the disk?" I asked. Thought I would throw in a little science lesson along with the clean up.
She did not.
"It's because it's a magnet," I explained.
She immediately stopped collecting the paper clips and ran out of the room. When she returned she had a magnet she had pulled from the refrigerator.
"Here, Granma," she said, handing it to me. "You can help, too."
So nice to be included.

No comments: