Friday, March 9, 2018

Granma Hall of Fame


"I'm just no good," Adella says.
"Oh, honey, don't say that," I reply. It saddens me that she is speaking of herself in negative terms. She is only five. I am a firm believer that young children can never have too much positive reinforcement.
"Why do you think that?" I ask.
She is at the kitchen sink. "I can't make my own bubble mix." 
She had poured out the bottle of commercial bubble mix she had been playing with and was trying to create some of her own bubble mix. 
"How do you make bubble mix?" she asks.
"I'm not sure," I say. "But it must have a little bit of dish soap in it."
I hear the water from the kitchen sink running and a minute later she exclaims, "I did it." 
She brings me the bubble bottle and blows a bubble to prove to me she has succeeded. 
Then she screws the top back on. "This belongs in a museum." Her childlike exuberant self-confidence restored.
Don't think the bottle quite qualifies as modern or even performance art. Maybe I will have to create a Granma Hall of Fame for ingenious inventions.

No comments: